When you include more women and people of color in tech, it is not just about giving underrepresented groups opportunities. It is more about expanding the pool of talent available to solve problems by bringing in people with different perspectives and ways of moving in the world.
We need dedicated corporate and community partners who want to show students what it looks like to work in STEM fields.
A core aspect of our immersive summer programs involves taking students on site visits to local tech companies where they tour offices and engage in activities, learn about career opportunities and have conversations with employees.
If your company is interested in hosting students for an afternoon, let us know!
Technical Writer, Sonic Foundry
Social Impact Engagement Manager
We [American Family Insurance] continue to support [Maydm’s] work in providing opportunities for girls and students of color to pursue their dreams in the STEM fields. We are excited about…supporting communities of color in pursuing their dreams. We strongly believe in the mission of Maydm.
American Family Insurance
I want to personally thank you for spending the day with the students and sharing such a fun & educational activity. We had 203 students participate and 99% said they enjoyed it and would like to return next year. Many said your session was their favorite, and how happy they were to receive books.
Education Support Coordinator, Milwaukee Urban League
I strongly believe Maydm is poised to make significant contributions in both of these areas. Youth are comfortable consuming technology and virtual lessons but Maydm seeks to give youth power in creating their own technologies and content. Furthermore, their deep commitment to underrepresented groups in the STEM field, particularly girls and communities of color, will uproot long standing systemic inequities in these fields.
Principal Badger Rock Middle School
We need passionate thinkers and creators to help carry out the Maydm Mission. Apply to volunteer with Maydm as a mentor for students in our summer immersive programs! Your commitment is crucial to the work we do.
If you’re interested in volunteering with Maydm, but are unable to make the commitment to mentor, sign up for our volunteer newsletter list. Maydm will send occasional newsletters with other volunteer opportunities, and we’d love to have you
Spring – Maydm is looking for mentors!
Early Summer – Mentor Training and Pairing with Student
Summer – Mentors come to program and meet with students weekly for 2 hours (3-6 times depending on program)
Fall/ Winter/ Spring – Mentors meet monthly with students
We are looking for people who are willing to work alongside our students and help showcase their brilliance. Maydm will provide topics for each of your meetings, but this is a great opportunity for you to learn about each other. Our students are learning about STEM concepts and going to experience them in the real world. Our mentors are there to help talk through those experiences, explore future paths, and continue fostering that curiosity.
There are occasional technical projects that students may be working on during the summer mentor sessions. A technology background is not necessary to be a mentor, but it is a bonus if you have one!
I want to work for NASA, and being an aerospace engineer without knowing how to code would be really embarrassing. I want to be capable, and I know that regardless of the job, there’s at least an 80% chance that I’ll need to know at least basic coding. Learning earlier will prove to be an advantage rather than learning it in college.
“One kid asked me questions about my job that would have them acing any interview, another told me a hilarious story about their summer, and another explained a hobby of theirs I had never heard of. Cool kids doing cool things.”
“I loved being able to work with the kids and laugh at their jokes. It was so cool to see them get excited about tech and being engaged in the scene.”
“One student was at my table and had a ton of energy and I was worried about her being able to focus, but she was so into the Alice project and made a really creative video and was then so proud of it and kept showing it to everyone :)”
“I wanted to give my thanks for allowing me to participate and volunteer for the workshop at the STEaM Girl’s Summit. I had a great time helping Maydm and Rockwell Automation. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn more about STEaM and to help other girls learn the importance of STEaM as well. Learning about different ways I can use STEaM to help our community become a better place for future generations. I was glad to be part of a kind and helpful team. Thank you to Winnie, Calley and JP Miller for granting me this opportunity.”
Instruct Young Innovators
Do you want to help middle and high school students learn about the fascinating things they can create with robotics and web and app development or tech? If you do then we want to talk to you.
Apply today by clicking the button below and sending us your resume!
Work With Us
Reports to: Maydm Board of Directors
Maydm provides girls and youth of color in grades 6-12 with skill-based training for the technology sector. We envision a world where all students know that a career in STEM is possible for them.
As we prepare for the planned transition of our Founder and Executive Director, we’re looking for a highly skilled, dynamic Executive Director to lead our organization into its next chapter. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will lead the Maydm team in strategic vision, revenue growth, and community partnerships. This seasoned leader will bring an understanding of current trends in STEM, education and workforce development, and a proven track record in business or fund development and strategic partnerships. Prior experience managing and hiring staff, and establishing relationships with local community groups is essential. Above all, our next Executive Director will be confident in a leadership role that demands strong decision making skills and a dedication to equity.
- A passion for Maydm’s mission and values, and drive to grow the organization
- A strong understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Role-model excellence in STEM Education to community members, participants, Maydm supporters and local business partners
- Desire to work in a small, fast paced, progressive non-profit organization
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- You will be responsible for the overall leadership of Maydm both internally and externally
- The primary goal will be to strategically lead the organization into the next chapter
- You will define the strategies and programs that Maydm will provide to the community
- You are a specialist in staff leadership and development
- You are able to operate and react to the fast-pace of our organization, while having the strategic foresight to focus on the things that will make the biggest impact
- You will establish the vision, purpose, goals, and measures of success for your team, in alignment with what is established for the entire organization
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Five or more years in senior management experience – ideally specific to STEM, education and/or diversity.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results
- Active fundraising or business development experience. Excellent donor and/or relationship building skills and understanding of the business and funding community
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
- Inspire our community members to believe in and contribute to equity in STEM fields
Schedule & Location
Typical schedule is weekday business hours, but occasional weekend and evening work is required for Maydm events and meetings. Maydm is conveniently located on the near West side of Madison.
Medical and Dental plan
How to Apply
For best consideration, please submit application materials for consideration in our first review of candidates on September 13th that include:
- A detailed resume
- A cover letter explaining how your experience relates to this position, specifically to the job duties and qualifications and includes salary requirements.
- Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The above list is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the position. The list is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Maydm provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military.
Become an Instructor
If you have a passion for Maydm’s mission, technical ability and a desire to teach then we want to talk to you.
Click the button below and send us your resume.
Join as a Mentor
If you want to give back to your community then we’d love to hear from you. We have technical and non-technical volunteer opportunities available throughout the year.